July-September 2007 updates for NITARP
Published: September 15, 2007
- SSC EPO and NOAO have agreed on a proposal to expand the teachers' program with the addition of about twelve new teachers and three additional research teams. One experienced teacher will be assigned to each team as a mentor.
- Two of Jeff Adkins' students, Thomas Travagli and Alekzandir Morton, wrote and submitted a proposal to conduct further observations of S5 0716+714 using Spitzer's Infrared Spectrograph to determine the redshift of this target, which is not well known. They plan to use this information to help determine the nature and temperature of the infrared bump they saw in the previous observation. The proposal was approved and submitted for scheduling.
- The Star Formation team will present an education poster at the January 2008 AAS meeting.
- The Brown Dwarf team will visit the SSC during October 14-17 to reduce and analyze data for WZ Sge. Three teachers, three students and two scientists will work on data during this visit.
- Several articles written by Spitzer teachers and students can be found in the 2007 RBSE journal at http://www.noao.edu/education/arbsefolder/files/rbsejournal07.pdf
- The teacher's Wiki has undergone a complete reorganization: https://coolwiki.ipac.caltech.edu/index.php/Main_Page